As we get older, our teeth age and get weaker. Sometimes, the natural process of tooth loss can occur as a result of some condition, such as gum disease, tooth decay, or injury. This can be very challenging, especially if you want to go back to eating your favorite food like it used to be. Fortunately, with dental implants, people can restore their missing teeth and improve their quality of life. In this blog, we will discuss why dental implants are so popular, the options, benefits, maintenance, and who is likely a good candidate.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are a long-lasting, natural-looking solution to missing teeth and can improve oral health. Dental implants are a prosthetic, which means that they are surgically implanted within your jawbone into the socket where your missing teeth used to be. Over time, they will bond with the bone to provide a sturdy base for an artificial tooth, resulting in natural-looking teeth that can function, eat, and feel like their real teeth.
There are many benefits to choosing dental implants, including the following:
- Overall oral health: Dental implants help protect your jawbone and keep your other teeth from shifting out of place.
- Better appearance: Missing teeth can make a face look sunken or weathered. Having a full smile can help you avoid that worn appearance.
- Easy to maintain: Dental implants should look and feel like your natural teeth. You can care for them just like all your other teeth, too! To keep your implants and other teeth looking good, keep up with good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing at least twice a day and flossing daily.
- Durable: Your dental implants will handle the stresses placed upon them every day. Implants can last a long time with proper care.
- Greater comfort: Your implants should fit comfortably and allow you to eat and speak normally.
Another reason why dental implants are so popular is that they are very versatile. Dental implants can replace a single tooth or multiple teeth or even be used to support large dental prostheses like bridges, and they can be matched to your natural teeth to give you a seamless look. They also provide superior stability to other options like dentures and bridges, and you will be able to enjoy your favorite food more comfortably without worrying about breaking, slipping, or shifting implants.
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
For people thinking about dental implants, who is likely a good candidate? An ideal candidate for dental implants is someone over 18 years old who has a healthy jaw bone and good oral hygiene. A good candidate should have no history of gum disease or smoking.
To ensure that you are a suitable candidate for dental implants, it is important to visit your dentist for a full assessment, which will include x-rays and other tests to determine if your teeth, gums, and jawbone are healthy enough for the procedure.
Boise Dental Implants
It is no wonder why dental implants are one of the most popular solutions for a variety of tooth problems. A beautiful smile is an invaluable investment that can make a huge difference in your confidence and well-being. Your Boise dentist can assist you in understanding all the steps involved in getting a dental implant from start to finish, so you can make the best decision for your needs. As we have seen, with technological advancements, processes like receiving dental implants are much easier than before. So if you think dental implants may benefit you, don’t hesitate to schedule a visit with Boise River Dental today! Our experienced and compassionate team will be able to thoroughly explain what it takes to get started and discuss what treatment options may be best for you.